- Ancestor buried in Harvey Township?
- There is a pioneer cemetery in Harvey Township that was destroyed a number of years ago. Part of the cemetery was dug up and used as Quarry, which was used to actually fill the road leading down to the cemetery. It was full of bones.
The majority of the cemetery still stands, with a handful of original tombstones, we have a rough idea of who is buried there but there are many graves that we have found using dowsing which no one was aware of. ALL records are missing.
There was a cemetery meeting regarding its lack of care in 1963. 50 people from Lindsay and Peterborough attended. If you know of anyone who may of attended the meeting please have them contact me. The report from this meeting is also gone.
We have people buried outside of the fenced area (the fence was moved) and we are trying to get the fence moved back to its original place on at least one side where there is still land, in order to get these people back into the cemetery. We have people buried under the fence, under a hydro pole and part under a watershed.
The surveyor needs proof that there are people buried out there.
The cemetery was affiliated with the Zion Methodist Church, prior to that it was know as Ventress cemetery, also known as Harvey Cemetery, Gypsy Point Cemetery and Nogey’s Creek Cemetery.
We now know that the cemetery was signed over to the Port Nogies Cemetery Co., in 1900.
If anyone thinks they may have an ancestor buried there please email me, [email protected]
Some of the names that we do know are located at http://www.sandycline.com/history/Nogies.html
I will shortly be adding to the GHHS website a number of Class lists from the Zion Methodist Church from 1880 to 1907.
Also can anyone tell me if they have any knowledge of who would have made the tombstones for the Harvey Township area? We are pulled between Bobcaygeon and Peterborough. We were told that if we can find out this we may be able to get some plot sizes who purchased the tombstone or some burial info.
Also info from ministers that would be in the area, or Dr.’s as they usually filled out where the patient was buried.
We are looking for deeds of plot purchases which would help us map out the cemetery.
If your ancestors were in the Nogies Creek Harvey area and you cannot find a burial for them PLEASE contact me.
Durham County Ontario Residents 1800-1927 Volunteer Non- profit Book Project
Greater Harvey Historical Society Volunteer
- Oxford County GenWeb has added:
- Broadview United Cemetery
- Evangelical United Brethren Cemetery
- Knox Presbyterian Church Yard Cemetery
- Municipal Brickyard Cemetery
- Ratho Presbyterian Church Yard Cemetery
- St Matthew’s Lutheran Cemetery
- The Religious Society of Friends Cemetery
- Town Line Methodist Cemetery
- Wesleyan Pioneer Methodist Abandoned Cemetery
- Vandecar Pioneer Cemetery